Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Science in a Box

Click on photo to download

Science in a Box- These are simple, science experiments that students can complete independently, with all the materials contained in a box.  I try to keep the instructions very simple and include pictures of each step.

This experiment is about "Spreading Colors" or simple tie-dye.    My five year was able to complete the project with very little help (she did need help securing the rubber-band).  All you need to do, is print off the instruction cards, cut them apart, laminate, and attach them together with a binder ring.  Next, gather all the materials and place them in a box with the instruction booklet.   You can place the box in your science center or send it home each week, for children to do with their families. 

This activity is fun for many different age groups.  My 6th grader and some of her friends did this experiment and they loved it.  They used the finished squares to make decorative cards.  A friend of mine, used this experiment with her Preschool class, to actually tie-dye t-shirts.   I've included a two-sided data sheet, however, this is optional. 

Just have fun with it!

1 comment:

  1. Oh My Gosh! I am so excited to try this. Thank you for sharing this idea. I can NOT wait!

    ReplyDelete